Tuesday 12 June 2012

Lone Wolf Promotions April

Lone Wolf Promotions provided some great gigs in April. First up was a gig at Sunderland's Plugged Inn, and first to take the stage was Mick Rolfe, former frontman of Uncle Monty. I first saw newcastle singer/songwriter Mick, playing at the Cluny, and was immediately a fan.  There was a small crowd gathering and it appeared they were appreciating his music. Mick played his solo version of his old band's song, 'Round and Round', which went down really well, especially with Lone Wolf Alex.

Next up was South Shields band, Hollywood and Vines. This was only the second time that I had seen them play, and I was really enjoying their indie/pop sound, as was the now growing crowd. The band are currently preparing to record their EP and I'm looking forward to hearing it.

It was now time for the headline of the night, The Union Choir, another Shields' ensemble. I have seen this band perform on several occasions (and each time with a varying number of members!) The Union Choir are quite different from most of the bands on the local scene. At first they appear to be a folky kind of group, but once singer Jon Melvin starts to sing, it is quite apparent that they aren't. He very much reminds me of a young Morissey, with his moves and onstage antics. Tonight was no exception. Although a sore throat nearly resulted in them cancelling, the ever-professional frontman downed a few whiskeys (for medicinal purposes, obviously) and extra strong Lockets to dazzle the crowd. 

The last Lone Wolf gig for April was Liars Lie! single launch. As the first band, Cohesion, took to the stage, there was already a good crowd. As they launched into their first song I just knew that I was going to like them. Loud and rocky, just my thing. As they progressed through their set I was reminded of This Ain't Vegas, as the singer sings with a very distinctive North East accent, just like that of Richard Amundsen, of that band, as well as Coal Train.

The next lot up, Spray on Jeans, are a band that I'm no stranger to. As I watched, I was  aware that every time I see them they just keep getting better. They announced that this was to be their last gig as Spray on Jeans. They promptly went on to say they were staying together and taking on a slightly new direction. At this point they then played a new song, much to the delight of the crowd.

It was now time for Liars Lie! to take to the stage. They played a new song which had a funky kind of Red Hot Chili Peppers sound about it. This was the second time that I had seen this band and I was really enjoying their performance. They put some great drum and guitar riffs in their songs, which speed up and slow down, making the tunes really interesting. What really did it for me, was a stint where the drummer stood and played for a while and then sat down and did a Cozy Powell style solo, which was tremendous. They also provided lots of drama by throwing around a pig's heart, (real rock and roll!) considering the singer is a veggie.

All in all I would say that Lone Wolf had a very successful April and I was really looking forward to what was in store for May.

No comments:

Post a Comment