Tuesday 13 March 2012

Sound of Guns

Tuesday 6th March

Tonight was the night! Sound of Guns were finally touring to promote the release of their second album, Angels and Enemies, of which I had been eagerly awaiting. I was also excited to see their first support band, Symphonic Pictures who are also a local favourite of mine.

Symphonic Pictures took to the stage in their now familiar white attire, opening with We All Come From Fire. A small crowd was starting to gather and the unique brand of psychedelic tinged tunes were hitting the right notes. Again my ultimate favourite track, Bootstrap Paradox was missing from the short set, but that didn't stop me enjoying the band.They finished with another firm favourite, Backwoods and left the stage to whoops and applause from the now growing audience.

Next to take the stage was Carly Connor, a singer/songwriter from Glasgow. Just as she was starting her first song, noticeably 'refreshed', she stumbled, over the monitor and nearly ended up face down in the front row. At this point I was kind of dreading her opening her mouth. But boy was I wrong. When this little blonde started singing I was really surprised. She had a really cracking rock voice that kind of  reminded me of Janis Joplin or fellow Scot Lulu in her heyday. If you get the chance to hear this girl sing, definitely go for it.

Finally the moment had arrived that I had been waiting months for. As the Liverpudlian rockers appeared on stage, the crowd (and me) went mad. They played a couple of familiar tracks from the first album, (Architects and Backs of Butterflys), which really engaged the gathered masses. As the guys went on to play new tracks Sometimes and Antarctica, (which I absolutely love), I was reminded why I adore this band so much. Through belting guitar riffs and frantic beating drums, the anthems these guys perform, for me, are up there with classics such as the Doors' Light my Fire.

By the time the band played their last song, half of the audience had their tops off, (and not just the guys) and one excited fan had evaded security and landed a place on the stage, singing along with frontman Andrew Metcalfe. If you don't get the chance to catch them live, you have to buy the album. It is a must for any serious rock fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment