Saturday 23 June 2012

Elysium All Dayer

I couldn't believe that a year had passed since the last Elysium All Dayer. Unfortunately I only had the opportunity to pop in for a short while, but I was sure, in that time, I would see a band that would catch my attention. The first act I caught was called Black River. These guys looked every bit the heavy rock band (well maybe not all of them). During their second song 'Deja Vu', the singer moved around, animated and getting right into the swing of things. However, I don't know if it was the mic or not but the vocals weren't particularly clear and I was struggling to hear. This caused me to kind of lose interest. The next song they played, 'Freeway', I really enjoyed as it reminded me of a good old fashioned 70's rock song. All in all, I felt this band was a little one dimensional, and I felt they needed some kind of backing vocal to project more.
For a rock gig, it was kind of different as upstairs there was an acoustic setup, quite unconventional I thought. When I ventured upstairs I was surprised at the amount of people in there (as opposed to the much less occupied space downstairs) as the room was full. There was a young lady by the name of Hannah Neil, setting up. One of the songs she sang was a rendition of Bonnie Tylers 'Heartache'. Although she had a good strong voice I wasn't keen. I thought it was a little karaoke and she didn't appear to know all of the words. Next she sang one of her own songs which was so much better. She had a great, husky tone to her voice which reminded me of Cyndi Lauper. The one thing that bothered me about this room was that there was a lot of talking going on, which I find really annoying, especially as it was an acoustic set.
Back downstairs the next band, No Reason Why, were just starting. As soon as these guys started playing I just knew they were going to be my kind of thing. They had so much energy. Their song, 'Kids With Guns' was a fantastic number. This band was generating a lot of interest, as there was now quite a crowd gathering. It was obvious too that the band were enjoying themselves, as livewire guitarist Stesh Thompson had bounded from the stage and was going wild, in true rock star form. The next song 'Voice of Reason' is available on amazon and, if you like raw rock with a punky edge, I would definitely recomend this band.
Elysium Productions goes to great lengths every year to put on this All Dayer, so if you like great rock music keep your eyes open for next years event. It's really worth attending.

No comments:

Post a Comment