Sunday 17 June 2012

Lone Wolf Promotions May

Independent was the venue for the first of Lone Wolf's May gigs. There was rather a decent crowd as the first band, The Blitz went on stage. Although young, this four piece from Sunderland are working hard to revive the punk scene in the region. A different approach to other local young musicians. As I watched these lads I realised that they had really matured and I felt they now had their own stamp as a band and no longer reminded me of the Green Day cover band that I once thought. By the time they played their final song 'In Revolt', from their new album, 'Like a Hurricane', it was obvious that they had been a hit with the audience too. If you get the chance, I would definitely recommend going to see them.
Next up was a band that I had been really looking forward to seeing, Bison Hunting. I had briefly heard a clip of one of their tunes, which is what had wet my appetite for them in the first place. These guys reminded me of Queens of the Stone Age, dark and heavy, but with a 70's rock vibe. I was really surprised when I clapped eyes on them as, in my head, I had been expecting long haired rockers, which definitely was not the case. One of the songs they played was so like one of my favourite songs 'Ariel', by System of a Down, because of the way they vary the tempo within a single song. Again, another band to check out.
It was now time for the main attraction, Sonner, a band with which I am very familiar. I first saw them about three years ago and just knew I was going to be a fan. They were amongst the first local bands that I got hooked on and, as a consequence, started following the local music scene. When they played 'Black Puma Rise'(a heavy little number), I was watching singer Mick playing guitar and he made a complex deed look effortless. I was really loving the sound of his voice, soulful, husky with deep rock undertones. They went on to play my fave Sonner song, 'Prison Man'. Keep your eyes peeled as they have a new single out later in the year.

The next LW gig had created a buzz on the local music scene. Initially it was promoted without letting on who was playing, and it was only through a clever poster campaign starting with a bar code, and followed by a series of visual clues which led to the line up reveal. First up was Fathoms, a five piece from Newcastle. As I looked around the audience, it was apparant that some of the audience was not prepared for what they were going to see or hear. Singer Natalie Stern was dressed all in black but sporting a white hooded cape, all adding to the theatre of this heavy rock act.  These guys are more hardcore than any other local band that I have seen. One of their songs really reminded me of a song from my youth, 'Radar Love' by Golden Earring. These guys went down a storm with the audience.
It was now time for the headline band. You could feel the excitement in the air as Nately's Whore's Kid Sister took to the stage. Donned in black, with tights as masks on their heads, the crowd were now cheering wildly. This band is mainly made up from members of Newcastle band Grandfather Birds, but their sounds are poles apart. NWKS started playing and as I scanned the room all I could see was the nodding heads of the audience, all in sync with the heavy beat of the twin drums and grinding guitar. It was really quite bizzare and hypnotic. As each song finished the applause and cheers were as deafening as the band themselves. The atmosphere was totally electric and with a DJ set from another Newcastle band, Watchers, the night was a total success.

The final LW gig for May was at Plugged Inn. The first band of the night was another new band to me, Echohead, a four piece from Sunderland. As I listened to them I could pick up bits of rockabilly and surf garage (and that's a good thing). They reminded me of Newcastle band, The Matadors. There was quite a good crowd and the band went down really well, finishing with a tune that was not unlike a funky Chilli Peppers number.
Next up was Streaming Lights, a three piece from Hull. I had first seen them support Wolfgang, a year earlier. I was really excited to see them play again, especially as they had lots of new stuff to showcase. They played a song called 'It's a Mystery', which had a really 60's kind of psychedelic prog sound. It was obvious that the guys were having a great time and it reflected in the mood of the audience. They finished with a song called 'Jump Ship', which was really fitting for the occassion as there was a Royal Navy ship moored and hundreds of sailors out on the town.
Headling this gig, and making their Wearside debut, was Symphonic Pictures. I have followed these guys since their first gig, and just love their sound. Like the previous band it has a real psychedelic/pop edge. Although they usually appear on stage all dressed in white, it was nice to see them just casually dressed. They played a mixture of songs I was familiar with and a couple of new ones. They also played my favourite song, 'Bootstrap Paradox', which they dedicated to me as they don't play it too often, as it isn't as up tempo as their other songs. They also played 'Feathers', which is fast becoming a firm favourite, and looked to appeal to the growing crowd. They finished with 'Backwoods' (a bit of a tradition) which got lots of whoops and cheers from the crowd. With a little luck there's to be an EP release later in the year.
So, all in all another great month of local music courtesy of Lone Wolf Promotions. For further information on up and coming gigs, check out the Lone Wolf web page: www.lonewolfpromo.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment