Monday 21 March 2011

Primal Scream Screamadelica

Wednesday 16th March

It was the gig that I had least been interested in seeing, as I am not a big Primal Scream fan. I had seen them when they had toured a couple of years ago, and frankly they just didn't do it for me. But as my husband is a big fan, I had decided to go with him. As we arrived to take our seats,(could only get seated tickets), the place was buzzing full of people, mostly men, all around a certain age. The lights dimmed and the first band, The Sexual Objects, came on stage. As they started belting out their tunes I found myself thinking how like a ramshackle, early T Rex they sounded. They played half a dozen songs or so and seemed to go down well enough with the audience. I will certainly be keeping my eyes open for any more gigs by this bunch as I really enjoyed their sound.

Finally it was time for the main attraction. The roadies left the stage and the crowd went wild. Bobby Gilespie came on stage dressed in a black suit and red shirt. On first impression I was reminded of the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. All he was missing was a large net and a black top hat.

As he came on stage he asked "Are you ready to testify? Are you ready to move on up?". At this the rest of the band, having taken their places launched into album opener "Moving on Up". I had been listening to the album all day and had decided that I actually did like this album, which has been quoted as "The record that changed rock'n'roll forever", because for the first time indie rock and dance music had "come together". The band were accompanied on stage by a huge screen displaying a spectrum of visual delight, including the now iconic cover art, that left me feeling that I had been on acid. During "Inner Flight" the visuals made me feel like i was floating around in a giant lava lamp!

They didn't play the album in order as they were keeping the hits like "Come Together" and "Loaded" until the end. During "Don't fight it, Feel it", there was a spectacular laser show, which only enhanced the already 'glad I came' feeling that I was now enjoying, and totally delighted the crowd, transporting them back to early 90's acid house clubland

The mainly instrumental tracks from the album were embellished by Bobby launching into old American standard "Who do you Love", during "Loaded" and incorporating the 'Farley mix' vocals into their rendition of "Come Together". As they went off stage the audience went wild. Upstairs in the seated area, everyone was on their feet cheering and applauding. The security just couldn't handle the crowd and finally gave up telling them to sit down. For their encore, Bobby explained that although it was "Screamadelica", thay had played the whole album, so asked if we wanted to "hear some rock n roll?" before launching into later hits, "Country Girl","Jailbird" and "Rocks". Although it's been nearly 20 years since "Screamadelica" was first released, it was obvious that this album is still as popular now as it was back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment