Thursday 24 March 2011

Neville Staple

Friday 18th March

The venue was an old restaurant, currently being used to host gigs put on by Sunderland based promoters, Skinny Twins. As we went in we could already here music, which made us aware that the first band was already on stage. When we went downstairs I wasn't too surprised to see that there wasn't that many people in. The band playing were called "We are the Don" and are, as far as I am aware, a local band. I'm sad to say that the only thing that was memorable about them was that they had a female drummer. It wasn't that they were bad musicians or anything, there was just no atmosphere and they really failed to get the small crowd going.

Next to take the stage was a band from London called Krakatoa. As soon as this band started I just knew that I was going to enjoy them. There was now a slightly bigger crowd and people were cheering. As the band kicked off with their first song I was transported back my youth in the late 70's. This band really reminded me of the Undertones. There was something quite punky about them. This did however make me think that they were a bit of an unlikely support for Rude Boy Neville Staple. However, my theory was turned on its head by the time they started to play their third song as a familiar reggae beat started to burst its way through. I was really impressed with this band and one of their songs had a "heavily borrowed" basline from the Clashes "Guns of Brixton". This band had a more energetic vibe about them and really had the crowd going. If you like Ska Punk I would definitely recommend that you check these guys out on Myspace.

Finally, the moment had arrived. The original Rude Boy was taking the stage. I looked around and could not believe how small the crowd was. I had been at this venue a couple of months previous to see the Beat, and the place had been jumping. The crowd may have been small but the cheering and chants of "Rude Boy" did not depict that of a small crowd. Neville launched into a collection of ska standards and Specials favourites. Every song brought the participation of the crowd, each shouting out their favourite ska song. Neville and his band continued to keep the crowd entertained and although he's no spring chicken, his energy on stage could be felt, as it passed through the crowd. He took the time to have a bit banter with the crowd, which went down well, and returned to do two encores, much to the crowds delight.

I was lucky enough to get back stage and meet Neville, who signed my husbands copy, of his autobiography. He also stopped to take the time to chat to fans and was more than happy to have his photograph taken. Very much a showman I would more than recommend seeing Neville and his band play, even if you're not into that kind of music. It's the man himself and his persona that made the night memorable. I for one, am really looking forward to seeing them play Skinny Twins Festival at Rainton Meadows Arena, in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment