Sunday 13 March 2011

The Naked and Famous

Monday 7th March

The Riverside in Newcastle was the venue, somewhere that i hadn't been before. The first band of the night were Newcastle based Viva City. These guys are a four piece electo indie band,and have been described as "glam Punk upstarts", very different and unique to any of the other local bands, and had soon captured the attention of the crowd. I have seen these guys on several occassions and they never fail to impress me. They played some new tracks,"Brother" and "Western Front" which for me were amazing. They finished with a track that had been mixed with Willow Smiths, "Whip My Hair". It went down a storm. Look out for their new album,"Phobia", due to be released this month.
Next on stage were London based Wolf Gang. I first saw these guys at a small intimate gig in Sunderland, and I was really looking forward to seeing them at a larger gig. They didn't disappoint and were well received. Wolf Gang is actually a guy called Max and I would definately recommend you check them out on Youtube, especially his rendition of Radioheads "Pyramid Song". I'm not a huge Radiohead fan, but my husband is and we both thought it was fantastic. Also look out for a track called "Lions in Cages". I guarentee you'll love it!
Finally it was time for the headline band, The Naked and Famous. As they came on stage the place erupted. This New Zealand band were clearly a big hit. I enjoyed their electro pop sound, but I wasn't madly excited by them. Perhaps if i listen to them a bit more they may grow on me, but it will be a long process.

No comments:

Post a Comment