Tuesday 15 March 2011

Detroit Social Club

Saturday 12th March

Welcome to my new look blog, showcasing the results of my recent photo shoot with photographer Ian West, whom I would like to thank for making me look so good I nearly didn't recognise myself! You can check out Ians work at www.ianwestphoto.com

Well Saturday was finally here. I'd been looking forward to this for weeks. Two of my favourite North East bands on the same stage. It was going to be magical. The venue was Durham Live Lounge, an old cinema where I had previously seen Viva City. The lights went down and Sonner, the first band, came on stage, to the chants of the crowd. These guys describe their music as "rock and roll with heart and soul", and they're not wrong. They draw inspiration from bands like Manic Street Preachers and the Small Faces, which is recognisable in vocalist Micheal Corkhill's husky voice. They played some new tracks, "The Call" and "We Go Forth Tonight",standing out in particular. These tracks are both featured on the new EP, to be launched at the O2 Academy in Newcastle on 29th April. By the time they launched into their final track of the night,old favourite "Green Park"
the place was jumping. It was a real pleasure to see these guys on a bigger stage, where they looked more than at home.

Next on stage was North East based, Moonlight Valentino. This band, were for me, reminiscent of Nickleback, but without the vocals of Chad Kroeger. These guys didn't really continue to keep the crowd entertained and engaged and I found their American soft rock approach ok, but forgetable.

It was 9.20,and the roadies had set up and left the stage. As Detroit Social Club came on, the gathered faithful erupted, with chants of "DSC". From where I was standing, I was struggling to hear frontman, David Burn, over the cheers of the crowd. This was to be the first of two home gigs to be played on the last leg of their tour. They started their set with their first single, "Rivers and Rainbows" taken from their debut album, "Existence", which was well received.
As they belted out one track after another from the album, the audience were at fever pitch, trying to grab vocalist David as he moved around the stage, in his now familiar, trademark style. As they played "Northern Man", it was obvious that this tune was a favourite with the masses. All too quickly it was time for the final track of the night, a psychadelic,blues,rock number, "I Am Revolution", their forthcoming new single, which is accompanied by some amazing artwork,by my hubby. This track was as well received as anything that DSC have produced in the past and went down a storm. Although I love this track, as with every band, we all have our favourites, and as I'm no exception, mine is still "Black and White". Also check out their version of the Neil Young classic, "Heart of Gold", which I can't recommend enough. Their final homecoming gig is to be played at Plugged Inn, Sunderland on 8th April. So hurry up and if you're lucky there may be tickets left, but if there are, it won't be for long.
Although the evening was fantastic, I did feel that the venue didn't lend itself, on this occassion, to the acoustics. At times the vocals were muffled and unclear, and this was definitely not the fault of the vocalists. Whether this was due to the sound engineer or the building, the question remains unanswered.

No comments:

Post a Comment