Sunday 15 May 2011

Viva City Album Review

After reading my online blog, I was asked by Trev Cairns of Viva City, if I would review their new album 'Phobia'. Of course I agreed, my first album review! Having seen these guys play live on several occasions, some of the songs on the album were already familiar to me, the final track, 'Hot Wax', being a firm favourite. If you like to listen to dancey, electro tunes with a bit of indie mixed in for good measure, then this album should definitely be in your collection. Viva City really know how to take 80's electro sounds and turn them on their head to make them current, and this is exactly what this album achieves. And if you're a Depeche Mode fan, watch out for track six, 'Western Front'. Anyone could be forgiven for thinking this was Dave Gahan and the Basildon boys at work. This is the first album from the Newcastle Glam Punk band, and it deserves to be played in every pub and club that prides itself in providing great dance music for its punters. When listening to this album, which includes a substantial number of tracks, it is hard to believe that it is the guys' debut album. From track one, right through to thirteen, the raw passion exuded is positivly electric. If this a taster of what's to come, I'm hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment