Saturday 28 May 2011

COLOURS Charity Gig

Saturday 14th May

Tonights gig was in aid of Children North East and I hoped there was going to be a good crowd, as there was some cracking talent going to be adorning the stage. Having arrived just as the first act was finishing, my first real taste of the evenings' musical menu was a four piece called Stacie James. The band opened with Ceelo Greens' recent hit 'F... You', swiftly followed by 'Hella Good', another cover, this time by No Doubt. The female singer had a really powerful voice, and I would have liked to hear something that they had written themselves. The last song, old standard 'Stand By Me' was performed well, but I have to say that I'm not really into covers bands, and perhaps the next time I see them they will have something a little more original.

Next on stage was a six piece band from Newcastle, 'The Greeting Committee'. Once they got started, I recalled that I'd seen these guys perform before. They have just signed their first record deal and hope to release an album in the next eight months. With their psycedelic, bluesy rock sound, they reminded me of early Oasis. Singer Jon is a great frontman, confident with lots of energy and Ian Brown posturing. I looked around the crowd and noticed their approval in the form of mass nodding and foot tapping. They appeared to be going down really well. The singer also had a good bit of banter going on inbetween songs, reminding people that it was a charity gig, and to dig their hands in their pockets. Their third and fourth tracks, I thought, were reminiscent of Detroit Social Club. No disrespect to the band, but I thought the sound quality was quite poor. By the next track I was reminded of not only Oasis but Cooper Temple Clause. They dedicated the next track to 'Charlotte' and slowed the pace right down. I would really recommend going to see this lot if you get the opportunity. Although I've never been a massive Oasis fan, I really enjoy watching and lisening to this band and can't wait to catch them again.

Next to grace the stage was a band from Leicester, 'All the Young'. this four piece band hit the stage running, with masses of energetic drum and guitar, which really is my kind of thing. The singer was, perhaps ill-advisedly, sporting a pair of very dark Ray Bans in the dimly lit venue and reminded me of a young Roy Orbison, although I doubt this was the look he'd had in mind! Their next song 'Here to Stay' was reminisent of the Doves. I was looking around and was very disappointed to see that there wasn't a particularly good turnout. These lads. who are signed to Warner Brothers, played their new single 'The First Time'. Again, just as the previous band, the singer reminded people that it was a charity gig. I would really like to catch All the Young again, and hope that I don't have to wait too long.

Next up were local heroes, the 'Lake Poets' (and friends). This was going to be a treat for me. As a regular follower, I was excited to see who was going to be 'assisting'. Martin, aka Lake Poets, opened  with 'Rain'. The next song, 'Friends', saw the arrival of more people, and at Martins request, the crowd moved forwards. On the next song, Martin was accompanied by local singer/song writer, Morris Ford on guitar. By the following two tracks, 'Edinburgh' and 'Leaving Do' (a Nev Clay cover), harmonica player, Steve Calder, had joined the boys on stage. There was even more musical collaborations to join the now growing throng of musicians, and I couldn't believe how much of a transformation it made to the usually solo artists' songs. They went on to play a catalogue of Lake Poet songs including 'Shipyards', a song dear to Martin as he wrote this for his grandfather who had passed away. For the last tune the headliners of the night, Chased By Wolves, also joined the entourage on stage as they performed 'City By the Sea'. By this point there was a great buzz around the room and people seemed to be really enjoying themselves. It was great to see the mutual respect and support among these musicians without trying to upstage one another.

Just before the last act of the night, (the aforementioned Chased By Wolves), organiser Chris Atkinson, or Aky as he is known, thanked everyone for their support, to a hail of cheering. Finally, the last band entered the stage. These guys have a really unique sound and don't resemble anyone that is around at the moment. When listening to them with their American Southern style vocals, it is hard to believe that you're not in a bar in Louisianna, sipping bourbon. They opened with 'Black Horse', which got the crowd dancing around and really enjoying themselves. For the next number, 'Be My Love', Steve Calder once again took the stage for harmonica duties. The unique haunting guitar sound on this track makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. The last song of the evening 'Lost at Sea', a rockabilly, country number had several couples in the audience really going for it, in a dancing sense. A triumphant end to a superb nights' entertainment...and all for a great cause.

I can't recommend the local North East music scene enough and I feel very priveliged to be able to attend and support such wonderful talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment