Wednesday 6 April 2011

Matt Stalker & Fables Album Launch

Friday 1st April

I arrived at Independent in Sunderland really excited about the evening ahead. Not only was I at a gig that I knew I was going to enjoy, (big fan of the band), I was also at my first album launch. Matt Stalker & Fables had already returned from a tour of New Zealand where they had first launched the album. First on stage was a North East favourite, singer/song writer, Nev Clay. He took his place on stage and picked up his guitar. I couldn't believe that the audience didn't take any notice and most of them continued their conversation. Nev made a comment about feeling free to carry on chatting as it was friday night. This still didn't make people embarassed enough to shut up. I was seething. Nev appeared not to take any notice, just playing his songs and having a bit banter with those of us in the crowd who had the decency to listen. He played the last of his songs and thanked the audience.

Finally the moment had arrived that we were all there to witness. Matt (the vocalist)opened the set with a solo performance that strangely wasn't from the album. It was phenomenal and Matt was overwhelmed at the turnout of around 150 for the launch. He was then followed onstage by the Fables, cellist, Jenny Nendick and drummer Baz Crosby. As it was a special evening the band had been extended to include some amazing guest musicians - on double bass, Joss Elliott, Olivia Cameron and Jonathan Trevor on strings, Ged Robinson on vibrophone and the talented Adam James Cooper on a selection of instruments.

They played the title track "The Man Who Said This Died of Alchemy", followed by pretty much every track from the album, my personal favourite being "Apostrophe, Catastrophe". They also played their version of Radioheads "Let Down", renamed by Matt as "Let Down Gently", as it is a softer, acoustic version of the song. They finished with another favourite of mine, "This is Our Mantra Now", a strong contender for the next single. They left the stage briefly only to return to play a further few tracks. Firstly, Leonard Cohens "Hallelujah", which went down really well with the audience. They finished with Elbows' "A Day Like This", which I absolutely loved as I am not a fan of Elbow, But somehow, the velvety tone of Matts voice, enriched the song for me.

As this was an album launch, I would also like to review the album. Matt told me that this album has been 10 years in the making. All I can say is that it is an absolutely amazing album and should be in everyones' collection. Please take the time to listen to this album. I can promise that you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment