Monday 4 April 2011

Glasvegas

Sunday 27th March

This was one that I was really looking forward to. Independent, a club in Sunderland putting on its biggest gig to date. From early on it was busy. There was a real buzz about the place. The support was a singer songwriter from Scotland. I didn't really catch her name and, to be honest, she wasn't grabbing my attention either. Although she had a good voice, every song sounded the same.

The roadies finished up and it was time for the main attraction. Glasvegas ambled onstage to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, which the band used as a backing track to their song 'Stabbed' from their first album, and then launched straight into new track, 'The World is Yours'. A few songs into the set, the heckling started, with someone shouting "Do your f***ing job!". A strange request, as I thought that was what they were doing anyway. It didn't just stop there though, as other members of the crowd started to join in with the taunting. As supporters of the band started to shout abuse at the minority that were spoiling the gig, I feared the band would walk off stage at any moment. But it wasn't the case. Singer James Allan, dressed head to toe in white denim jacket and jeans (and a very 80's vest!) appealed to the mob to let the heckler have his say. After being accused of miming, the frontman joked "Why would we mime out of tune?" Furthermore changing the lyrics during "Polmont on my Mind" to "what do I have to do to prove i'm not miming?" much to the crowds' amusement. From then on the band, which included new female drummer, Jonna, had best part of the audience eating out of their hands.

Apart from two covers, 'Moon River' and the Ronettes' 'Be my Baby',and new songs, 'Euphoria, Take my Hand' and possible future single 'Shine Like Stars', most of the setlist was from their debut, self-titled album. I do have to say that although most of those gathered were enjoying the band, there were times when I wondered why some people had actually paid to come in, as they talked non-stop throughout the whole set. This took all of my self control not to turn around and tell them to shut up or get out! I hope that this is the start of things to come with regards to the music scene in Sunderland, as it would be great to see more of the bigger bands coming to Sunderland and not just Newcastle.

No comments:

Post a Comment